Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Website Hudson Shribman
Hudson Shribman are working with a fantastic company that due to substantial and continued growth over the past few years, an exciting new opportunity has arisen for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join their team in Horsham.
Overall Purpose of the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Role;
• Innovative design skills in Electro-Mechanical mechanisms.
• Technical lead within a small, mixed discipline, project design team to produce quality design solutions in line with cost, time and quality requirements.
• Lead in the creation of designs in 3D CAD using SolidWorks software.
• Lead and work in collaboration with the team to perform classical engineering analysis on designs, including stress, fatigue & vibration using conventional analysis and computer simulation
• Perform lab testing for verification and conformance of design outputs to meet the design inputs.
• Be responsible for leading and developing engineering reports to support new product designs, failure investigation and any other formal documentation to support customer requirements.
• Coordinate with wider engineering teams to integrate electronic, control and drive systems into equipment designs
• Provide support for the production, test and field engineering teams. Support the sales teams with bids and quotations
• Work with project managers and sales teams to provide time estimates for design activities and keep appraised of progress
• Support and assist the Sales Team in producing proposals and quotations/sales literature.
The Successful Applicant for the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer:
• Have a degree in a relevant discipline
• Have a flair for innovation, new concept designs and a passion for mechanical engineering.
• Have experience in the design of complex mechanisms and structures
• Have proven experience in the design of systems from original concept design, produced from a specification, through to production in a Lead role.
• The ability to analyse the loads on, and design solutions for, items such as gear drives, bearings and motors
• Have an understanding of the application of machining, casting, fabrication and moulding techniques
• Have experience in the use of a 3D CAD system.
• Take the lead with responsibility for timely delivery of outputs within defined deadlines.
• Strong understanding (where required) of the technical work being carried out and related activities.
• Ability to lead the technical activities of a project design team, controlling workload and design output.
• Experience of working in ideally the Defence or related sectors particularly in R&D and manufacturing (for example, scientific equipment manufacturers, special purpose machine builders or high-end customisation companies).
Desirable but not essential:
• Have experience in designing for use in harsh environments
• Have experience in the Defence industry or similar sectors (for example, scientific equipment manufacturers, special purpose machine builders or high-end customisation companies.
• To be proficient in SolidWorks 3D CAD system
• Have experience and knowledge of coaching in support of talent development within the team.
• Have previous experience in a similar level position in a Senior’ level role, preferably in a small or medium-sized company and/or relevant business model
• Have the ability to liaise with customers verbally and in writing in an effective manner, producing reports and participating in formal design reviews.
• Have excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills.
• Be able to communicate clearly and effectively with all stakeholders to understand diverse and complex requirements.
• Have the ability to fit in and work well both in a team and in working autonomously when required.
• Degree educated in Mechanical Engineering
• Proficient in performing engineering calculations.
Security Clearance Requirements:
Due to the nature of our clients business, staff need to be able to obtain UK Security Clearance as a mandated requirement. Therefore, if successful, you will need to provide proof of identity, employment history and right to work in the UK, along with proof of UK residency for at least five years.
What’s on Offer:
Salary: Between £45,000 to £55,000
• 37.5 hours per week and early finish on Fridays
• We operate a flexible approach for employees with the opportunity for partial remote/hybrid working where business needs allow
• 26 days Annual holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
• Group Personal Pension Salary Sacrifice scheme
• Income Protection Scheme
• Life Cover
• Company Share Incentive Plan and Save as you Earn Scheme
• Group Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme
• Recruitment Referral bonus
• Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
• Wellbeing initiatives
• On-site parking
• High-Street Discounts Scheme
If interested in the role for the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer please get in touch with Cameron Anderson-Lee at Hudson Shribman.