Agile Software Engineer
Website Hudson Shribman
Agile Software Engineer
Would you like to work at the forefront of future technology development for the fleet of Royal Navy ships? We currently have a vacancy for a Agile Software Engineer. This role requires software engineering expertise and experience of agile/DevSecOps development, joining a federated team from across the Combat Systems sites including Dorchester, Frimley, New Malden, Filton and Broad Oak.
As a Agile Software Engineer you will be taking a leading role in an agile software team, dealing with all software engineering aspects associated with the creation and development of safe and secure software-based products for use on naval platforms.
This role will provide you with the chance to participate in and influence the development of the future of our software products and is also a great opportunity for self-improvement and development.
Your main responsibilities as a Agile Software Engineer will involve:
• Working with Stakeholders to define, develop and implement product enhancements and overall strategy
• Working with the Software Team and Engineering Manager to deliver software work packages
• Taking a leading role with the agile software processes in a Software Team
• Delivering quality Software Engineering to budget and schedule including involvement in work package allocation & tracking
• Supporting estimation of engineering activities for cost-to-complete exercises and when scoping/sizing additional work
• Acting as an exemplar Software Engineer to further develop the software products and to lead/oversee the sharing of best practice amongst the Software Team
Your skills and qualifications:
• Degree qualified in a relevant subject or have equivalent level of working experience
• Must have a strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle – especially Agile and DevSecOps, including significant previous experience of performing a scrum master/product owner role within a successful Agile team
• Knowledge of a programming language such as Java, Python or C#
• Experience of working with Open Standards and Open Architectures
• Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders at different levels across a team and throughout the business
• Familiarity with the Atlassian toolset (Jira, etc.) and/or the Microsoft Azure technology stack would be beneficial, but is not essential
What we are looking for in you:
You will demonstrate a strong interest in technology and strive for zero defects and zero rework in your own work. You will be highly motivated and focused to continuously improve and always work to professional standards. You must have strong communication skills and be able to work well as part of a team as well as on your own initiative.
Location: Dorchester, Frimley, New Malden, Filton or Broad Oak – Hybrid/Home working with visits to site when required.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Please be aware that many roles working for us will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.