Principal Product Safety Engineer
Website Hudson Shribman
Job Title: Safety Engineer
Location: Any Naval Ships site including Glasgow, New Malden, Frimley, Filton (Bristol) or Broad Oak (Portsmouth), Dorchester – We can also consider remote working
Salary: £50,600 – depending on qualifications and experience
What you’ll be doing:
• Producing pre-bid product safety & environmental assessments to inform the risks associated with the project
• Producing safety & environmental management plans
• Developing safety & environmental arguments for complex systems (including software) sometimes from first principles
• Selecting and executing the most appropriate and recognised hazard identification, analysis, and risk classification / reduction techniques
• Developing Hazard Logs
Your skills and experiences:
• Knowledge of Product safety techniques (HazID, Risk mitigation, assessment, and safety assurance strategies)
• Experience of working with multiple project stakeholders at various levels
• An awareness of legislation, standards, processes, and tools used for product safety in the defence maritime domain
• Member of professional engineering body (e.g.IET)
• Understanding of MoD safety management activities and processes, e.g., DSA01.1, DSA02.DLSR, DSA02-DMR (Defence maritime regulations for health, safety, and environmental protection). DEF STAN 00-051, 00-055, 00-056 and the ALARP process
• Exposure to IEC 61508 (Functional Safety of electrical / electronic / programmable electronic safety-related systems)
• MSc Degree in engineering related subject for Principal Engineer positions
Engineers at all levels should possess an academic qualification in Engineering or other related STEM subjects as well as specific (either academic or professional) qualifications and become recognised as Incorporated or Chartered Engineers through an appropriate recognised professional institution. Engineers are encouraged, and will be supported, to achieve the relevant accreditation. Preference will be given to candidates who are already professionally registered.
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive
The Product Safety team:
We are looking for experienced safety engineers to facilitate the identification of hazards, risk control strategies and to formulate safety case arguments. If you have experience in the maritime defence domain and are interested in product safety, then we are interested in your experience and will train the product safety processes to grow you in the role.
Whilst working with cutting edge technology, this role offers a lot of day-to-day challenges and variation with excellent career progression opportunities, and you will be fully supported in your development within the business.