Shared Infrastructure Virtualisation Engineer
Website Hudson Shribman
Principal Engineer – Software – SI Virtualisation Specialist
Location: New Malden. We offer hybrid working arrangements (3 days in the office/2 days from home).
What you’ll be doing:
• Carrying out complex technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability
• Carrying out investigations into operational problems or developments and develop and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a project team
• Preparing specifications, developing designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained
• Acting as the main point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on specific engineering matters, to resolve relatively complex problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives
• Participating fully in capturing requirements, designing, implementing and testing software for the Shared Infrastructure system with particular focus on the Common Console aspects, which makes use of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) to display multiple Combat System equipment’s across a single piece of shared glass
• Supporting the identification of business opportunities and the preparation of bids in area(s) of expertise to facilitate the development of the highest quality bids
Your skills and experiences:
• Experience of working in a large System Development project; able to implement and integrate complex technical solutions
• Significant experience using VMware – working with VMWare HorizonView (ideally HorizonView 6 or later) and vGPU technology
• Ability to capture and document system design and changes for example writing design specifications
• VMware qualified
• Experience with some of the following: VNC, RDP, RemoteApp experience, PCoIP, Powershell scripting and automation
• Experience of developing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solutions
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive
The Naval Ships Combat Systems team:
As a Principal Engineer – Software – SI Virtualisation Specialist, you will be designing an available, scalable, secure, and resilient enterprise – IT infrastructure. As a lead engineer your role is focused on defining the low-level technical solution and investigations required to support both existing elements of the product and to give future direction and support to the product line. This is a demanding technical role for a candidate with a strong engineering (virtualisation) background.
Naval Ships Combat Systems design, develop, integrate, and support combat systems that enable navies to protect nations. We provide a range of combat system products and services that support ships throughout their lives, working with our customers to ensure they can respond to ever-evolving maritime threats.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to work with modern technology in a unique defence/MoD project.